The Metagem Conundrum
If you logged in after the Shattering, you may have noticed that your Metagem no longer functions. That is because most of us use the Chaotic Skyflare Diamond, and this has been changed to require more blue gems than red gems to function. This is a major hassle if you are of class (like us) relying almost solely on Brilliant Cardinal Rubies.
Of course, this was most likely done to make us gem for different gems, rather than the simple “all reds” we’ve been adopting. General outrage ensued. Already blue posts confirmed that this will be redesigned, but as it can’t be hotfixed, it will be done in “a future patch” which could be a month or more from now.
This presents us with major hassles if we want to continue our raiding and have an active meta. As it stands, we have one of a few ways to handle this change:
Meta borked? Who cares?
The approach that will be taken by those who don’t raid or PvP at the moment is possibly to simply leave the Meta inactive. Let’s face it, it would cost a lot of money to regem ourselves and for what? 21 Crit strike rating and 3% critical strike damage, which is not the end of the world to lose. We will likely be able to adjust again once Cata hits, and we can always spend our money once we have new gear to review our gemming choices.
Change our Meta
The cheapest option is to simply go for another Meta until the mess has been sorted out. There are quite a few that are interesting for us out there:
- Bracing Earthsiege Diamond: 21 Intellect and 2% reduced threat, requires at least 2 red and 1 blue
- Ember Skyflare Diamond: 21 Intellect and 2% max mana, requires at least 3 red gems
- Insightful Earthsiege Diamond: 21 Intellect, % restore mana on cast, requires 1 of each color gems
- Invigorating Earthsiege Diamond: 21 Haste, % restore health on crits, requires at least 2 red and 1 blue
- Tireless Skyflare Diamond: 21 Intellect, run speed increase, requires 1 of each color gems
None of these are pure DPS upgrades, but each does have a small merit of its own. Bracing might allow us to deal with tanks still getting a hold of their threat, and Insightful smooths our mana use. Tireless might allow us to choose a different boot enchant, but there’s not much of an option to go for there. And finally, Invigorating might allow us to get used little by little to our VE nerf.
My advice would be to go for Bracing or Ember if possible, those seem like the best options.
Gem for the Chaotic Skyflare Diamond
The expensive option, and already widely discussed in this Elitist Jerks post. In short it all comes down to the following;
- Regem Hit in blue sockets to have (Blue gems) be more than (Red + Yellow gems).
- Purple gems don’t count as they are both red and blue at once.
- Try to get socket bonuses in doing this, to squeeze out more Spellpower/Intellect.
- Reforge Hit/Spirit into Haste if possible, or Crit/Mastery if you must.
As an example for myself: I can replace 2 red gems with blue gems without losing socket bonuses, giving me 16 additional spellpower. However, since I have 19 “red gems” (including the orange ones) and no blue ones, this will mean I still wouldn’t make the Meta work. I’d have to sacrifice more than 60 Intellect from gems to make it, which is simply not worth it, since I can never recoup those losses from spellpower gained through socket bonuses. I could reforge about 40 Hit into Crit/Mastery, which isn’t very good.
All in all, what choice you make is up to you – currently it seems like the best option is to simply go for another Meta. Bracing for now, and once we reach 83-85 and our mana’s getting tanked by our spells becoming more expensive going for Ember.
Edit: blue gems are needed, not purple, so the resocketing strategy should be straight Hit gems or Hit/Haste. That makes it even worse to regem.